You’ve just moved into your new home. Congratulations. But did you know about the dangers of the busy road sitting just behind your back fence? In Australia, 50 Million dollars worth of damage is caused each year by cars crashing into buildings. Maybe it’s time to think about protecting your home from those stray cars.
If you live near a busy road, or in an area where cars are known to slide off and cause potential damage – or even injury – it’s good to know you and your home is protected. Not only is living next to an incident-prone area scary, but it can also have a big impact on your way of life, mental health and even hike up insurance premiums. The good news is, there are ways to stop cars from intruding or even damaging private property. Here’s how you can protect your home using a fence that can stop a car.
How do I know if my home is at risk?
Sometimes you may not even know you’re in a risk area. If you’ve just moved house or you’re new to town, you may not be aware of the road risks at play on the streets around your home. Getting this information can be difficult – talking to neighbours and reviewing statistics from the local council can be helpful in learning about the potential risks around your property. Other times, it can be obvious, or you may have had a close call and you’re ready to start looking at solutions.
So why not construct a wall?
While putting up an actual fence might be tempting, there are a few downsides to this. The first is cost vs. efficacy. For the amount of protection needed to stop a rogue car, a solid fence with the ability to do this would end up being quite costly, not to mention obstruct your view. The fact is that fences are expensive not just to build, but if a car does come hurtling your way, the damage to your fence and property can be far more than anticipated.
Bollards: the safest way to protect your home and car
Domestic bollards have been used for hundreds of years to prevent stray traffic from causing damage to property and assets. The same is true today, with roads and thoroughfares coming even closer to the spaces where we live, urban environments are increasingly prone to damage by vehicle. Here is why bollards are the most effective fence that can stop a car:
- Strength: Bollards are inherently strong, with a range of materials, installation techniques, you can have peace of mind knowing your home or vehicle is safe from rogue cars or accidental intrusions.
- Versatility: Compared to other mitigation techniques such as fences or walls, bollards can be installed wherever and whenever. As opposed to walls or fences that are more permanent solutions, a bollard or series of bollards gives you the opportunity to both focus or disperse your protection plan.
- Convenience and aesthetics: Bollards come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can complement your surrounding environment. Along with in-ground and retractable options available – you can lower and raise the bollards depending on the risk level and mobility needs.
What factors should I be aware of when choosing bollards?
Before you make any big decisions, it can help to have a chat with the experts here at Image Extra, and weigh up the risks and find a solution that is proportional to your circumstances. If you’re living on a heavy traffic road you might want to look into the following:
- What kind of traffic is putting your home at risk. Is it mainly cars or is it a mixture of heavy freight and trucks? This will impact the size and strength of the bollard/s you’ll want to be installed.
- Heavy traffic? Is the road you’re close to busy or is it more infrequent traffic you’re worried about. This could impact the number of bollards needed in case of a multi-vehicle crash or incident.
- How fast? The speeds of traffic next to your home will determine the kind of bollard needed, from the material to installation and placement.
- How close? If you’re right on a busy road, the placement and type of bollard will need to match the level of risk and exposure. If you’re set back from the worst of it, you might be able to get away with fewer and less hardcore solutions.
What about trucks?
At Image Extra, we test and rate our bollards to suit a range of environments and crash eventualities. This way we can be sure that the product we install for you will work to protect your valuable assets and ensure the safety and protection of your home. For protection against heavy vehicles and trucks, we offer a premium range of permanent in-ground and heavy-duty bollards that are useful in protecting against ram-raids and stray heavy vehicles.
Secure your home today with Image Extra
If you think your home may be at risk of potential damage at the hands of a stray car or truck, don’t wait for the inevitable – get in touch with the team at Image Extra. We’ll be happy to speak about securing your home against rogue vehicles. With years of expertise in designing and implementing security solutions, you’re in safe hands. Reach out for a quote today.